Ragging Prohibition Act 1998
For the information of the students and their parents, extracts from the Kerala Ragging Prohibition Act published in 1998, forbidding ragging in the educational institutions of Kerala are quoted below.
2(B) by Ragging, it is meant any physical or mental torture or any disorderly conduct towards any student of an educational institution causing apprehension, dread, agitation in him/her.
- It can be any harassment like insulting, teasing, bullying or manhandling.
- It can also be forcing upon him/her to do something which he/she voluntarily won’t dare to do normally.
- Prohibition or Ragging: Ragging is prohibited both inside and outside an educational institution.
- Punishment for Ragging: Any student involved in ragging/persuades others for ragging or advocated ragging/ either inside or outside an educational institution shall be subject to a punishment of not more than two years imprisonment in addition to a penalty of not over Rs. 10,000.00
- Dismissal of Students: A student subject to the punishment under section (4) is liable to be dismissed from the institution and is barred from being admitted to any other institution for a period of three years from the date of receipt of his/her dismissal order.
- Suspension of students: If a student/parent/guardian or any teacher of the institution forwards a written complaint to the Head of the institution, he/she has to make an urgent enquiry into the matter within 7 days of receipt of such a complaint. If the allegation is proved to be correct, the accused must be suspended with immediate effect and the matter be referred to the police for further proceedings.
2(1) As is said in sub-section, I if a written complaint is received by the head of the institution, he has to make a detailed enquiry and if it is found baseless, the complainant must be informed of it in writing.
- Abetting: If the head of the institution refuses to take action in the manner described under section B or is negligent in initiating any steps, he is to be treated as one abetting the crime and is liable to be punished.